By Amy Johnston | Tuesday June 12, 2007
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA – Raley’s, a privately-held, family-owned supermarket chain, announced today its agreement with Albertsons LLC to sell its 10 New Mexico stores, nine operating stores and one non-operating site. The sale will be completed in August 2007 when Albertsons LLC transitions the Raley’s stores to Albertsons stores.
“We decided to sell our New Mexico stores so we can focus our energy and efforts on our core markets in Northern California, the Bay Area and Northern Nevada,” said Raley’s President & CEO, Bill Coyne. “It was a difficult decision because our incredible employees in New Mexico have worked hard to make those stores successful and memorable for customers, but it is a decision that will bring further strength and continued growth to our company.”
Raley’s entered the New Mexico market in 1999, with the purchase of eight stores. There are roughly 840 employees working in the nine stores and the New Mexico district office. “Raley’s cares about our employees and we worked hard in negotiating the sale to protect employment wherever possible,” Coyne said. “Albertsons LLC has expressed a great respect for our colleagues’ knowledge and skills.”
Our New Mexico Employees
- There are roughly 840 Raley’s employees in New Mexico.
- Twenty of those work in the division corporate office in Albuquerque. The remaining numbers work in the nine operating stores.
Our New Mexico Presence
- Raley’s entered the New Mexico market in 1999.
- Today, there are nine operating New Mexico Raley’s stores – six in Albuquerque, two in Rio Rancho and one in Taos – at the following locations:
- 4401 Wyoming Blvd. NE. Albuquerque
- 8100 Ventura St. NE, Albuquerque
- 6200 Coors Blvd., Albuquerque
- 13150 Central Ave. SE, Albuquerque
- 13201 Lomas NE, Albuquerque
- 2910 Juan Tabo NE, Albuquerque
- 3301 Southern Blvd. SE, Rio Rancho
- 7800 Enchanted Hills Blvd NE, Rio Rancho
- 710 A Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, Taos
- The non-operating store is located at 2200 Juan Tabo, Albuquerque
- Raley’s purchased nine New Mexico stores and 19 Las Vegas stores when Albertsons’ 1999 acquisition caused them to divest American Stores.
- There are currently nine Raley’s stores in New Mexico: six in Albuquerque, two in Rio Rancho and one in Taos.
- Raley’s has one division office in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Family-owned, 72-years strong.
- With the sale of the New Mexico stores, a total of 130 stores, excluding New Mexico, include Raley’s, Bel Air, Nob Hill Foods and Food Source in Northern California, the Bay Area and Northern Nevada.
- Sole owner, Joyce Raley Teel, daughter of founder, Tom Raley.
- Revenue, $3.4 billion in 2007.
- Companywide, 16,000 employees.
- Raley’s was voted among the top five grocery chains in the nation by readers of a leading, national consumer magazine in 2006 and voted Number One in 1997, 2000 and 2003.